Tired of hearing your machine squeak? Exhausted from worrying about what effect the type of fabric you are sewing on will have on your machine? Well, it is time you stopped doing things that you do not need to do when there is a better option. With your increased interest in sewing, you need the Best Heavy Duty Sewing Machine to meet your requirements. You do not have to worry about the kind of fabric you are sewing because the usual machines cannot handle most fabrics while the heavy duty ones handle almost every type.
In fact, you will get your job faster and your machine will be able to handle more of you if you want to do more. However, not all sewing machines are the best choice for you. Even some heavy duty sewing machines will offer you a performance worse than the normal ones. So, you have to be aware of your own needs and the quality of the new machine you will be buying as well. In order to find the Best Sewing Machine for your purpose, you need to be a really knowledgeable buyer considering each factor that matters. Our buying guide will help you know all the factors that affect the decision regarding a heavy duty sewing machine. On the other hand, our reviews will help you decide what features you want in a bundle and what features you can do without.
Ten Best Heavy Duty Sewing Machine Review:
Here are 10 of the Best Heavy Duty Sewing Machine review for you. Let’s face it.
- Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
- Singer | Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
- Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine
- Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Juki TL-2010Q 1-Needle, Lockstitch, Portable Sewing Machine
- Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- Brother Sewing Machine XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
- Singer 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine
1. Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
Hands down, this is the best machine that is not just capable of handling everyday use but also makes everyday sewing sessions the easiest for you. In fact, it offers almost all the features that make sewing a bliss. You will be able to accomplish your sewing and quilting targets fastest and in the easiest way using this machine. Firstly of all, it is electronic and has a power button to help you turn it off and on instantly and easily. Then, it features an LCD screen that is bilingual so you can easily choose what you want to do and control the machine. Apparently, this machine features a numbering guide to help you thread the needle easily and also a lever that when touched threads the needle for you. Not only do you get sixty different stitches to choose from but also nine different presser foot options. You can even choose your stitch length and width. As expected, this machine sews the buttonholes for you easily with its auto-size buttonhole feature.
The work area is kept bright so that you have the complete view of where your work is going. You also get to set the speed very easily on this machine. It also has a top-loan bobbin to save you from the strain of handling a bobbin you can barely find. You can also use the quilting table when you are doing harder and larger work. Lastly, all these features are not just featured so you can enjoy for a short time. Brother ensures with its quality design and builds that this machine provides you the service you pay for as long as you want. You get a 25-year warranty with this machine to speak of its quality.
- A heavy duty machine from a brand with a great reputation.
- Features an LCD display with easy controls and bilingual settings to make it easy to use.
- Offers almost all the features that make a machine fun to use like-automatic threader, top-load bobbin, speed control, etc.
- A wide range of stitches to choose from.
- Nine different presser feet.
- Auto-size buttonholes feature.
- Excellent durability with a 25-year warranty.
- Easy adjustability.
- Extremely versatile.
- Lightweight and portable.
- A few customers complained about the thread tension altering itself.
- The presser feet was considered too heavy by some.
2. Singer | Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
One of the most reliable names in the sewing industry is Singer. Therefore, you can expect the same quality and finesse from a heavy duty machine by Singer which will fulfill all your desires. With a heavy duty machine, one of your biggest requirements is sewing faster and Singer 4423 does it best for you. With a powerful motor, this machine allows you to sew 1100 stitches per minute. Furthermore, you don’t just get your work done faster but as conveniently and easily as possible. You get to adjust the pressure of the presser foot to sew on different kinds of fabric. Apparently, you do not have to spend your valuable time and energy threading the needle either as this machine comes with an automatic needle threader. Moreover, you get 23 different types of stitches to choose from which includes decorative stitches. Therefore, if you ever wanted to be a fashion designer, it is the time to get started with this machine by your side.
You get to even sew buttonholes in the fraction of a minute with the automatic buttonhole feature of this machine. Apart from being able to adjust the stitch length, you also get to adjust the needle to three different positions. The top-drop in bobbin makes setting up the machine even easier for you. On top of it all, the machine has a sturdy metal frame which lets you use all its heavy-duty features heavily without the risk of harming it. Furthermore, it includes a number of accessories including an auxiliary spool pin and soft dust cover placed compactly in the accessories tray.
- Higher motor power with better speed.
- Versatile performance with many adjustable features.
- The adjustable pressure of the presser foot.
- 23 different stitches to choose from including having control over the length of each.
- Automatic needle threader and one-step buttonhole feature.
- Three needle positions.
- 25-year limited warranty.
- The durable metal frame that provides stability.
- A number of people complained about the variety of stitches not being good enough and the space between them as well.
- Although the machine has a metal frame, the other parts are plastic so it may not be the most durable.
- Issues might occur with threading the bobbin and the automatic threader.
3. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
If you thought that Singer was done impressing us all with just one machine you were so wrong. The Quantum Stylist 9960 is another heavy duty sewing machine by Singer that aims to fulfill the dreams of many creative people in this field. It will not only provide you with the speed and stability but also make your path to glory easier with its numerous features. First of all, unlike other sewing machines, it does not just one one-step buttonhole feature but 13 different styles of one-step buttonhole features. In fact, it includes an exclusive buttonhole underplate. So, you will never find sewing a buttonhole as easily as you will with this machine. Furthermore, you get 600 different stitches to choose from. This includes five alphanumeric fonts to help you customize your creation beautifully. While it is not as fast as the 4423 machine, it is quite fast providing you a speed of creating 850 stitches per minute. So, you will be able to create multiple unique and beautiful creations a day.
This machine apparently includes a number of presser foot options including an all-purpose one. So, you won’t have to worry about what kind of fabric you are sewing on much as this machine suits all. Your eyes will breathe a sigh of relief thanks to the automatic needle threader. As with all expert Singer products, you have a minimum to worry about when it comes to quality.
- Brand reputation and expert attention.
- Quite fast and stable with a heavy duty metal frame.
- Various stitches and one-step buttonhole styles to choose from.
- Easy to use with a one-touch stitch selection and top-load bobbin.
- Features electronic autopilot mode.
- Comes with an extension table and a variety of presser feet.
- Many customers complained of not getting all the pieces that the brand said the machine would include.
4. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine
If you want to be the talk of your sewing friends group then a limited edition will always get you the top spot among them. Making it to our list for the second time, Brother is a well-recognized brand of sewing machines and you can expect no less than expert features for ease of use and performance. Like other machines, the XR9500PRW offers you a variety of stitches to select from, which is apparently 100 different stitches and 140 stitch functions. The stitches include decorative, heirloom and zigzag stitches as wide as 7mm. Moreover, you get the basic lettering font for monogramming. So, if you want versatility and creativity in one machine, this would be the best choice. Apart from that, you get eight styles of one-step auto-size buttonholes stitches to use from this machine. You will face no problem winding the bobbin either. Because all you need to do is put the thread in place and push the start button. However, many customers did face some troubles when winding the bobbin.
The machine also features an oversized wide table for quilting and also a free arm for cuffs and sleeves. You will never miss a thing on the brightly lit workspace either when you sew. This machine comes with a hardcover as well.
- Heavy-duty versatile machine for stitching.
- Large area suitable for quilting.
- A variety of designs to choose from.
- Easy to use with the bobbin winding system, needle threader, and well-lit workspace.
- Eight styles of one-step auto-size buttonholes.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Bobbin winding is not very easy or accurate.
- Not all parts of the machine are very durable.
5. Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
Finally, a brand is able to come up front to face Singer and Brother in this battle of providing the best heavy duty sewing machine. The Janome HD3000 is something you should be interested in using if you want to do a wide range of sewing activities. You can, in fact, work on almost any kind of fabric with this machine, even denim. This machine comes with seven piece feed dog so you can feed your fabric smoothly. Also, you can adjust the pressure of the presser foot for the fabrics. Apparently, you have the option to adjust many things to your liking and your fabric’s need. You have 18 stitches to select from of which one is a buttonhole stitch. All you need to do is just set the dial. If you want to adjust the stitch length and width, you can do that too.
It is quite easy to use as well. You have the automatic needle threader and the jam-resistant top-load bobbin to avoid any kind of strain on eyes or mind. On top of it all, this machine comes with a number of accessories like a hard case, ultra glide foot, needles, etc. If you are a beginner, you do not have to take multiple trips to find everything you need. Janome has it all packed inside.
- The machine has a heavy duty aluminum body with metal parts inside which makes it very durable and stable.
- Provides a number of adjustable features which makes it quite versatile.
- The pressure of the presser foot is adjustable.
- The stitch length and width are adjustable.
- Variety of stitches to choose from and you can choose it easily.
- Includes a lot of accessories that you will need for sewing.
- Automatic needle threader and top-load bobbin for ease of use.
- A few customers complained that the machine only stitches in reverse mode form the very beginning.
- Although the machine durable with metal parts inside, the outside plastic parts make it feel cheap on touch.
6. Juki TL-2010Q 1-Needle, Lockstitch, Portable Sewing Machine
Another brand other than Singer or Brother grabs the spotlight with a great quality sewing machine. It has so many features to make your sewing experience the easiest that you will end up with your dreams coming true even when you do not expect them to. In fact, it has a throat area of 8.5 x 5.9 inches which gives you ample space to move your hands while sewing. Apparently, you have no bounds for creativity with this machine. You also get a clear view of your work area when you sew due to the LED-lit working surface. Furthermore, you do not have to struggle with the thread. In fact, you just have to guide the thread through a single groove and thread with the help of a threading lever. This machine is apparently, great for free motion sewing due to all its features.
Another great feature of this machine is the ability to stitch at a speed like no other. Apparently, it can create 1500 stitches per minute with a stitch length of 6 mm. You also get to control the speed with a sliding speed control and also have a one-pedal foot control.
We also have a detailed review on Juki HZL-F600 computerized sewing and quilting machine if you want to check that out.
- A foot pedal to offer you better control over the machine.
- Excellent option for machine stitching and also free motion stitching.
- Great speed for sewing and also a remarkable stitch length.
- Easy set-up of bobbin and needle.
- Well-lit work area.
- Great quality and durable.
- Brand reputation and expert design.
- Issues might occur with the automatic threader and the needles.
7. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
If you are a beginner looking for an easy way into the world of sewing, this is a great option for you. It is, in fact, the most basic form of a sewing machine with advanced features that make the whole process of sewing a piece of cake for beginners. All you have to do is select the stitch you want to sew with and start sewing. Apparently, you get six built-in stitches to select from. As we mentioned, it is a very basic machine so you do not get many options. You can sew a buttonhole in four steps. The real magic occurs when you begin to use it. With the automatic bobbin winding sewing machine, you do not have to struggle with winding the bobbin with which even the experts often struggle. Furthermore, the machine is very portable with its light weight of 11.5 pounds. So, you can easily store it away on a shelf when you are not using it.
You also get a number of types of presser feet to work on various types of fabrics. The speed of 350-400 stitches per minute will definitely amaze you as a beginner. Moreover, you do not have to make many changes before sewing as the machine comes preset unless you want to. That alone makes it the best sewing machine for beginners.
- A suitable sewing machine for beginners.
- Six basic built-in stitch designs for beginners.
- Four-step buttonhole sewing.
- Dual spool pins.
- Lightweight weighing only 11.5 pounds.so it is very easy to store and move.
- A good speed of stitching for a beginner.
- Extremely easy to use with its automatic bobbin winding feature and stitch selection mechanism.
- Three presser feet for versatility.
- Durable and stable with a heavy-duty metal frame.
- Not a good choice for expert or intermediate sewers due to its basic features.
- Issues might occur with the thread.
8. Brother Sewing Machine XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
If you want your sewing machine that you are just beginning with to stay with you even when you become an expert, the XM2701 might just be the right sewing machine for you. Firstly, you get 27 built-in stitch designs to select from which includes decorative, blind hem and quilting designs. These are basically the most basic stitch designs so you get what you need to get started. Furthermore, your sewing quest gets easier with one-step auto-size buttonholes sewing feature which lets you sew buttonholes in a minute. If you want to work on various kinds of fabrics then you do not have to worry. Because this machine features six presser feet to allow you to use a variety of fabric. However, you should know that only six presser feet are not enough to give you the versatility to work on all fabrics. But, you can work on quite a few. It is not just the basic stitching that gets easier with this machine but also the sleeves and cuffs and other side stitching. There is a free arm so that you can easily sew the corners and also the cuffs and sleeves.
You can stitch easily with this machine using the simple to use stitch selector to get started. Furthermore, the automatic needle threader and the jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin helps to make it even easier for you. You will be able to wind the bobbin easily as well. Lastly, an instruction DVD is included with the pack to give you the easiest start in the world of sewing.
- Suitable for beginners, intermediates and even advanced sewers.
- Twenty-seven stitch designs to select from.
- Automatic needle threader and the bobbin design and style makes using the machine a lot easier.
- Free arm for cuffs and sleeves.
- Instruction DVD included.
- Six presser feet makes it versatile.
- Easy to sew buttonholes with this one.
- 25-year warranty.
- Even though it includes an LED light, the light is too dim to ease the strain on the eyes.
- The pressure of the presser foot is not adjustable.
- The thread may get tangled in the bobbin.
9. SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
SINGER is definitely unbeatable in this quest of singing its glory. Obviously named Singer for a reason. Well, if you want to take a lot of decisions into your own hands, adjust a few things and get things done fast then this machine is definitely the one for you. In fact, all you need to do to get this machine started is just select the desired stitch and push one button and start sewing. Apparently, you get 100 built-in stitches to select from. This includes 76 decorative stitches, nine basic stitches, eight stretch stitches, and seven automatic buttonhole stitches. Therefore, you see, you do not have to worry about any kind of unfamiliar stitching with this machine. Moreover, it stitches quite fast for you. In fact, it has a speed of creating 750 stitches per minute. So, you get to easily sew any kind of stitch and also get it done fast. Although the stitch length and width are preset and automatic, you have the option to determine them if you wish to. Furthermore, you can program your needle to an up or down position to thirteen different positions whenever you want to. So, you can work on quilts or pivot on fabrics as well.
You get a variety of presser feet to work on a wider range of fabric as well. The bobbin winding clutch is automatic and you can also set the machine in automatic reverse mode. It is easy to use with the top-load bobbin as well.
- Excellent speed for both stitching.
- Built-in needle threader.
- Various built-in designs to choose from.
- Bright work-area with LED lights.
- Easy buttonhole sewing feature.
- The bobbin is top-load and easy to set and has an automatic winding clutch.
- Variety of presser feet included.
- Thirteen adjustable needle positions.
- Adjustable width and length of stitches.
- The needle threader is not very easy to use.
- The presser foot is made of plastic so it’s not the most durable.
10. SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine
Do you want your heavy duty machine to hold its ground even when you break all hell loose on it? The Singer 4411 will do exactly that with its metal frame and stainless steel bedplate. However, it’s not only the heavy sturdiness that this machine provides but all the required features to give you the right combination of heavy and easy. In fact, this machine offers you 27 built-in stitch designs to choose from. This includes six basic stitches, 4 decorative stitches, and 1 buttonhole stitch. So, after you select your design, you can even adjust the needle to three different positions to sew in any way you want. The presser foot is also adjustable so you can determine the pressure for the kind of fabric you are working on and sew your heart away. It’s not only the presser foot that you can adjust. In fact, you can even adjust the stitch length and width up to 6mm.
You can easily get the machine ready to work with the top drop-in bobbin with a clear-view cover. So, you can keep track of what goes inside and around the bobbin. Furthermore, you can also stitch in reverse.
- A very durable and sturdy build that provides the needed stability for heavy-duty sewing.
- Variety of designs including a buttonhole stitch to choose from.
- Adjustable needle position.
- Stitch length and width are adjustable as well.
- The pressure of the presser foot can be adjusted.
- Drop-in bobbin with a clear view cover.
- A few customers faced problems when adjusting the presser foot and also the needle.
- The bobbin might cause issues too.
- There were complaints about the customer service and warranty as well.
The Heavy Duty Sewing Machine Buying Guide
The blame for not being satisfied with the machine you buy will be on you if you do not consider the following features. Apparently, without considering these we are sure you will end up with something you did not want.
Your Goals and Requirements:
It is not just how long or what type of fabric you will be using that you have to consider when buying a sewing machine. Apparently, as a sewer, you know that there are various kinds of sewing that people do. Not all machines will be able to provide you with the features to do all types of sewing. So, what type of sewing do you do most? Is it embroidery or is it just straight stitching. Most machines offer a number of types to choose from but not all. So, make sure the type you are going after is enlisted as a type of stitching you can do. Apart from that, you are definitely buying a heavy duty sewing machine to sew longer and on harder fabrics. If you end up stitching a fabric that the machine is not compatible with, it will lose its durability and give you a really hard time. So, consider your own goals and requirements first and track down machines that have the capability to fulfill those.
The Types of Sewing Machine:
Depending on the type of sewing you do and how you do it, you will have three types of machines to choose from. Each has its own aptitude and features.
Mechanical: Well, you can imagine how these machines are different. You get to manually control and use these machines to your liking. Apparently, their speed depends on your speed and their performance on yours. You have to know how to sew and use this machine. Furthermore, you cannot exactly consider it a heavy-duty as the machine is usually able to handle only the simple stitches.
Electronic: When you are planning to work for long and on a large volume of fabrics, this is the type you should usually go for. However, you have to also consider whether you want a computer attached to the machine to help you set the controls. In fact, you do not even have to know much about sewing to use this machine. It can usually handle a good number of types of stitches and many other difficult activities.
Embroidery: While just the electronic machines do not allow you to monogram or embroidery, the Best Embroidery Machines do. You will even get a number of designs to choose from for the machine to do automatically.
The Variety of Fabrics the Machine can Handle:
Although a heavy-duty machine is supposed to be able to handle quite a number of fabrics, it is better if you check to be sure if there is anything it cannot. Otherwise, you might consider it to be capable of handling a fabric, stitch on it and end up having to buy another machine.
Do you need a feed dog adjustment to take some things into your own hands? If you do then check that the machine allows it. It is good to have such features so that you have the versatility to do anything anyhow you want.
Number of Stitches:
You will find certain machines that offer you myriads of free stitches to choose from and others that require an upgrade or money to provide you a few. So, make sure that the machine you are buying does not charge you extra to provide you with the stitch you will be using most often.
The kind of Presser Feet:
One multi-purpose presser feet might just be enough for you. Again, you might need other separate types like a buttonhole presser feet or a zipper one. Depending on how fast you want to do the other kinds of stitching, check how many presser feet the machine offers and how much pressure it applies on the fabric. Or else, the fabric you want to stitch might get puckered or ruined under the pressure.
Needle Position and Needle Threader:
When you are into more complex kinds of stitching, the needle position, and its adjustability matters. You will find it easier to deal with corner stitching and when you turn if your needle can be moved left or right. So, check if you need this feature and if the machine has it.
Apart from that, it is better if your machine has a needle threader feature. We all know how difficult it is to thread a needle and how much pressure it puts on our eyes. A needle threader can make our stitching time merrier by saving us from this burden.
Adjusting the speed is not just about how fast you get your stitching done. While it is of importance how fast the machine is, it is also important to check if the fabric is able to handle the speed. So, you should be able to determine the speed your machine is operating in on a certain kind of fabric to avoid ruining the fabric and also unnecessary intervention.
Thread Tension Adjustment:
If you want the perfect kind of stitches with the perfect space between each thread, you should have the option to adjust the tension of the thread. Otherwise, you might end up with too puckered or too loopy fabrics.
Since time and speed are of the essence to you, you do not want to spend extra time when stitching a button. Machines with an automatic button-holder do the job in the blink of an eye and save you time. So, if you need to sew buttonholes too often, this is a feature you could use.
Top Load Bobbin:
Taking your hand into the depths of the insides of the machine then loading and fixing the machine is both times to consume and complex. Many heavy duty machines now feature a top-load bobbin that helps you do these faster and easier.
This is an important factor to consider only if you plan to move your machine too often. In fact, if you plan to keep the machine out of sight when you do not use it then you have to move it every time you use it. If it is heavy then it will become an irritating job to do every day. So, the more lightweight the machine, the better for you.
Ease of Use:
If you have to study the manual like you are studying Physics then it is best to not go for a machine that is so complex to operate. The electronic machines should feature a power switch so you can stop and start whenever you want. This makes it safe for children as well. Apart from that, you should be able to use the computerized controls easily and understand each function properly as well. It might be better for the machine to feature an LCD display to make things easier for you.
Durability and Warranty:
Even though it is called a heavy duty sewing machine not all of them are built to last. So, make sure your one is. Check the quality and type of materials used in the builds. Furthermore, look for warranties and what they offer. Sewing machines tend to malfunction more often than other machines so check the repairment offers and options as well.
Benefits of Buying the Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
You might think that why should you spend more to buy a heavy duty sewing machine when you can just buy a normal one? Well, the reasons for that are quite clear once you get a clear picture of what heavy duty machines will actually enable you to do. And, here are the benefits:
- Sew all day, every day: Although it is not possible for you to sew all day every day, we mentioned it because a heavy-duty machine will be able to take this load. You can take turns with partners to sew on a heavy duty machine when you have a lot of work to do and the machine will never get tired o show any signs of abuse.
- Sew faster than you ever did: With the normal machines, it is basically your own speed influencing the speed of the machine. However, with heavy-duty machines, you can sew at a much faster rate. So, if you are planning to start a small business, a heavy duty machine will give you a speed that your competitors will come to envy and your customers will love.
- Sew on any kind of fabric you want: The usual machines falter in their performance even when you use them on the soft fabrics for a while. However, you do not have to worry about this when it comes to heavy duty machines. You can, in fact, imagine a design combining any kind of fabric and a heavy-duty machine will provide you with features to adjust to the need of the fabric. It doesn’t even matter how thick the fabric is because heavy duty machines are built to take it all on.
- Better stability and durability: You might think that spending so much on a heavy duty machine is a waste. However, it is better to spend on one machine for a lifetime of durability than a number of machines that will end up costing more than the heavy-duty one in the end. Because heavy-duty machines offer you the durability you deserve for the cost you get.
Furthermore, heavy duty sewing machines are generally a bit heavier than the normal ones, so you won’t get to move it much. However, this heavier build provides it with a stability that you need while sewing rigorously on thicker fabrics.
Frequently Asked Questions
What care should be taken while sewing with any heavy duty machine?
Answer: While manufacturers ensure some of the durability of your machine, you yourself have to follow a proper way of using the machine to keep it durable. Here are a few things you should keep in mind while sewing;
- You should always keep your presser foot in the down position when you sew. Many customers complain about the threads being tangled in the bobbin. Little do they know that one of the most common causes of the tangling is not keeping the presser foot in the down position before sewing.
- Do not forget to use the right bobbin for your machine because an incompatible bobbin will harm your machine and even make it dysfunctional.
What changes do I need to make to sew on thicker fabrics like denim?
Answer: In order to sew on thicker fabrics the first thing you have to do is switch to a thicker needle. Or else, the needle will snap as soon as you begin to sew. Furthermore, you have to adjust the stitch length and the presser foot for this purpose. It is best to use the all-purpose presser foot for this. Lastly, do not go for high speeds but the moderate one to get a fine stitch.
Sewing requires both effort and time. Just one mistake or flaw in its way can turn hours and days or even months of hard work into a flawed project. When it comes to using sewing machines, the chances of the flaw occurring is more due to the machine than the person using it. In order to be sure that you have the Best Heavy Duty Sewing Machine in your house, you have to be sure it has the right features for you and each of them work perfectly. Otherwise, your heavy duty project will turn into a heavy loss and burden.