It is often that you feel the need to unleash your creative spirits. Apparently, you can unleash the creativity in any form of art, writing, music, etc. So, the specific form we will be talking about is embroidery. While the form of expression might be different, the requirements are the same- no obstacles and complete support. When you embroider by hand, there are too many humanly obstacles that you need to deal with to get your work done fast and flawlessly. Fatigue and monotony being the most dangerous of them. An Embroidery Machine can save you from this fatigue while giving you full support for what you want to create.
However, the wrong and low-quality embroidery machine will create more obstacles rather than helping you. Apparently, you might get so frustrated that you might end up giving up totally. Therefore, it is really necessary that you find the Best Embroidery Machine for yourself. However, it is not an easy thing to do when there are so many of them available around you. You have to get your senses in full guard mode with all the knowledge you can gain. And, these embroidery machine reviews provide you with all the knowledge you need to be with us in this quest for your own good.
Ten Best Embroidery Machine Reviews:
Here are 10 of the Best Embroidery Machine reviews for you. Let’s get started!
- Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing 4×4 Embroidery Machine
- Brother Embroidery Machine PE770
- SINGER Futura XL400 Portable Sewing and 125 Embroidery Design Machine
- Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway Computerized Embroidery and Sewing Machine
- Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- SINGER | Futura XL-580 Embroidery and Sewing Machine
- Brother PE540D 4×4 Embroidery Machine
- Singer CE-150 Futura Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- SINGER Legacy SE300 Portable Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- Janome Memory Craft 200E Embroidery Machine Bundle
1. Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing 4×4 Embroidery Machine
If you are a newbie and are not sure about which you will like more- sewing or embroidery, the SE400 will be perfect for you. This machine apparently offers you the basic but in the best form for both. You can start off your embroidery by just choosing what you want to do easily on this machine. In fact, you have a backlit LCD touchscreen display to choose everything from. You will get 67 built-in stitching designs, 70 embroidery designs, 5 fonts, and 120 frame pattern combinations. If these do not satisfy you, you can easily connect your machine to the computer to not just import designs from the internet but also to upgrade your machine. Still not satisfied? There is no way you won’t be with the manipulation of designs that this machine allows you to do with the options to rotate, mirror imaging and changing the size of the designs.
Although the embroidery area is not that big measuring 4-by-4 inches, it is enough for a beginner. This machine makes everything easy for you with its various features. The drop-in bobbin is easy to set and a thread cutter cuts the thread for you from both the bobbin and the needle when needed. Also, the needles threader threads the needle for you causing you no stress. You can easily work on any fabric with the 7 point feed dogs featured on this machine.
- Brand reputation assures that the machine is built to stay and perform.
- Many options for designing and stitching.
- Editing features like mirror imaging.
- Computer and internet connectivity.
- Seven point feed dogs.
- Quick set drop-in bobbin.
- Great for beginners.
- The bobbin winding system is neither easy nor accurate when done.
- The needle threader is not very efficient either.
2. Brother Embroidery Machine PE770
You will often notice how you get a job done better when you have only one job to do. Likewise, this is a machine completely dedicated to embroidery and will not disappoint you easily. The PE770 being an embroidery machine offers a larger area than other combined machines do which is 5-by-7 inches. So, in it, you can work on your bigger projects. But, do not worry, the larger area does not mean complex controls. You can, in fact, handle this machine quite easily. Firstly, you get 136 built-in designs to choose from. You also get six lettering fonts, ten frame shapes, and twelve border styles. Secondly, if this is not enough you also have access to the iBroidery site to download designs and import it with the help of a USB port. Thirdly, if these are still not enough, you can customize your own designs by editing features like rotate, mirror image, changing size, etc. So, you will ultimately have no complaints about the designs. As for ease of using all these features, especially if you are a beginner, operating this machine will be a piece of cake for you.
You get to choose all the necessary from a backlit LCD touchscreen display. Furthermore, you do not have to worry about threading the needle, placing the bobbin or trimming the thread either. The machine does it all easily and fast with its automatic needle threader, a drop-in bobbin, and an auto thread trimmer.
- A machine dedicated fully to embroidering.
- Larger embroidery area of 5-by-7 inches.
- Built-in memory with myriads of designs and styles with five lettering fonts.
- USB connectivity and access to the ibroidery site.
- Easy to use with the LCD touchscreen display.
- Automatic needle threader and thread trimmer.
- Quick-set drop-in bobbin.
- Durable and high-quality build.
- The bobbin tends to tangle up the thread in some of the worst cases and ruin projects.
- The needle breaks quite often.
3. SINGER Futura XL400 Portable Sewing and 125 Embroidery Design Machine
Want to feel the complete satisfaction when you create each and every part of a masterpiece all by yourself? The Futura XL400 will definitely satisfy you that way and also help create masterpieces as it itself is a masterpiece. While it allows you to do both sewing and embroidering, it does not fall behind in any of the sectors. You can sew a beautiful project using the 30 popular built-in stitches and two one-step buttonholes styles. Then, you can customize your creation by embroidering on it selecting from the 125 embroidery designs and the five fonts that this machine offers you. Furthermore, if these designs are not unique enough for you, you can edit and turn to combine multiple designs on your computer screen to create your own design. Apparently, you can embroider without any limits as there is none to your imagination with the option to use multiple hoop sizes. In fact, you can create designs up to 12 by 20 inches.
You will find the machine extremely easy to use as well. Firstly, you can thread the needle by just guiding it through a groove and using the threader lever. Secondly, the bobbin is really easy to set as you only have to drop it in the right place. You can connect the machine to your PC with the USB cable that is included with it.
- A machine great for both sewing and embroidering.
- Large sewing and also embroidery area.
- Choice of using multiple sized hoops.
- Variety of designs for both sewing and embroidery built-in including five letter fonts.
- Computer connectivity through a USB port.
- Option to create unique designs by combing the existing.
- Well-lit work area with six stay-bright LED lights.
- Durable, brand reputation and of great-quality.
- A few customers complained about not being able to control the thread tension due to which the thread often breaks.
- The needle breaks too often.
4. Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway Computerized Embroidery and Sewing Machine
Find no obstacles to your beautiful and diverse ideas while working with this sewing plus embroidery machine. Because it provides you with all the ease features, versatility, and support for your journey to glory. When it comes to versatility, you get 67 different sewing stitches to choose from while sewing and 70 embroidery designs. Moreover, you get 120 different framing shapes and also five different fonts to choose from. If that is not enough, it is capable of connecting to your computer to not just import designs but also upgrades itself. Furthermore, you will be able to use all the features very easily by just playing with the LCD touchscreen display that this machine has. Apparently, you can even edit the designs in various ways and also view how your design looks on the same LCD screen. If you are new to sewing or embroidering, it still won’t be difficult to use as it features built-in tutorials just for you.
While you have a 4-by-4 inch embroidery area, you get many features to help you work easily. Although it does not have an automatic needle threader it does feature an easy drop-in bobbin which requires no effort to be set from you. Moreover, the bobbin winding system is super easy and the machine features a threader cutter that conveniently cuts the top and bobbin thread for you. However, a number of people faced issues with the tension of the thread.
- Easy to use the machine for both sewing and embroidering.
- Offers a number of sewing and embroidery designs to choose from.
- Capable of being connected to the computer.
- Allows users to edit designs and also view it on the LCD screen.
- Easy to set and wind a bobbin
- Thread Cutter.
- Features built-in tutorials.
- Durable machine.
- Lots of people faced issues with the thread tension which seems to not be constant and create globs of threads or break the thread.
5. Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Here is yet another great sewing plus embroidering machine from Brother. Brother has barely failed to satisfy sewers and embroiders so you can expect nothing but the best quality and performance from its machines. Now, what makes this machine so unique is the large color touchscreen that it features. Not only can you select the designs and everything else easily on it but you can also change the color combinations and view the design to proceed further. With an embroidery area of 4-by-4 inch, this might not be the best machine for larger projects. However, it is well capable of creating beautiful designs that you cannot take your eyes off. In fact, it allows you to choose from 103 sewing stitches and five lettering fonts for embroidery. Yes, we know that’s nothing fabulous but what’s fantastic is its USB port that allows you to import designs from outside. So, when you work on that brightly-lit area, you will never run out of designs to work on.
The machine is super easy to use so it is quite great for beginners as well. Firstly, there is automatic needle threader and quick-set drop-in bobbin to make things less stressful. Then, you get the free arm for cuffs and sleeves to sew them conveniently as well.
- Large touchscreen which lets you view, move and set designs.
- Variety of designs or choose from for both embroidering and stitching which includes five lettering fonts.
- Computer and internet connectivity through a USB port to offer you a wider range of selection.
- Well lit work area with an automatic needle threader and also a jam-resistant easy to set bobbin.
- Free arms for cuffs and sleeves sewing.
- Good price.
- Durable, high quality and versatile.
- Winding the bobbin is quite complex and it produces inconstant thread tension which leads the thread to break or form jungles inside the bobbin case.
- The needles break too.
6. SINGER | Futura XL-580 Embroidery and Sewing Machine
Hands-free operation is critical in some cases when you are sewing or embroidering. Especially, when you are bringing your presser foot down and you need to place your fabric perfectly under it. The Futura XL-580 offers you hands-free operation in this particular case with its foot lifter so that you can place your fabric perfectly under the presser foot. Apart from that, this machine offers much more variety of designs and styles than what others offered. In fact, you get to choose from 250 embroidery designs and 215 sewing stitches. Apparently, 50 of the embroidery designs are endless means you can continue doing it for as long as you want on any length of fabric. It features an endless hoop as well. Other than that, you can also customize designs on your computer screen. The work area is well-lit with LED lights so you will never miss a thing that happens.
It is super easy to operate as well. You get the SwiftSmart threading system that helps you thread in two steps by guiding the thread through the groove and using the threader lever. Then, you get the drop-in bobbin that you just need to drop in its place and start sewing. You also have a USB key to connect the machine to whichever device you want.
- The foot lifter allows for hands-free presser foot lifting when needed.
- Many different designs and styles of stitches and embroidery to choose from.
- 50 endless embroidery designs and an endless hoop included.
- Computer connectivity and a USB key.
- Stippling embroidery designs included.
- Well-lit work area.
- Easy to set drop-in bobbin and swift smart needle threader.
- Durable builds.
- Winding the bobbin is not easy.
- Tension inconstancy leads to threads breaking.
7. Brother PE540D 4×4 Embroidery Machine
Want to impress a kid but know that the adult designs never will? The Brother PE540D offers you 35 built-in Disney embroidery designs and much more, So, you will end up creating an unbreakable bond with a kid while they think you are the coolest ever. Apart from the Disney designs, this machine offers you can also choose from the 70 decorative designs that this machine features. You get to use five embroidering fonts and 120 frame patterns as well. Furthermore, you won’t have a hard time figuring out the machine. Because the backlit LCD touchscreen display allows you to easily select the designs and also has a built-in tutorial to guide you. If the designs were not enough, you can also connect this machine to a computer to import designs even from the internet. Now that we are done with knowing about the versatility let us check out the ease of use.
There are mixed reviews on how easy it is to use. While there are features that make using it easy like the automatic needle threader, many customers complained about the features themselves not working. So, as long as you get the perfect machine with no technical errors, you will enjoy using it. However, many customers complained about receiving broken machines.
- Disney designs included.
- Variety of other embroidery designs including five lettering fonts and 120 framing patterns.
- Color LCD touchscreen display to select designs from.
- Features built-in tutorials to make the task easy for even beginners.
- Computer connectivity through a USB port.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Not the easiest machine among the mentioned to use or get started.
- The needle threader often stopped working for some.
- There were issues with the tension of the threads.
8. Singer CE-150 Futura Sewing and Embroidery Machine
If you are interested in learning free motion embroidery, this is a machine that will allow you to do so best. Apparently, the CE150 Futura has a drop feed that will help you do free motion embroidery and many other such embroideries. In fact, it features 120 built-in designs and five fonts for embroidering. Apart from that, in order to help you sew, it features 24 built-in stitches which are not as many as the others offer. However, this machine can read almost any design file format so you can import designs and even see 3D realistic view of it on the screen to judge. Doe embroidery, you get to choose from two different hoops to work on. The presser foot is placed extra high so you can place any fabric of any thickness easily under it. Furthermore, it includes a number of feet to help you work on any kind of fabric.
If something has gone wrong, you will get an audible signal immediately from the machine to fix it. Furthermore, there are three stay-bright LED lights in the work area to keep it well-lit. You also get an automatic needle threader and an easy top drop-in bobbin to work with. Apart from that, you can adjust the needle to an up or down position.
- Provides various ways of adjustability like adjustable needles, drop feed, several types of feet included, etc.
- Variety of designs to choose from for both sewing and embroidering.
- Well-lit work area.
- Automatic needle threader and an easy to set bobbin.
- 3D view of designs on the screen.
- Adjustable needle.
- Great for free motion embroidery.
- High presser foot.
- The needles are reported to break too often.
- The thread gets tangled and also the thread breaks after a while.
9. SINGER Legacy SE300 Portable Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Need larger areas that can accommodate your bigger ideas and creativity? The Legacy SE300 has just the right amount of space for you. This dual machine for both sewing and embroidering gives you a work are of 7 ⅞ inches. You can accommodate an embroidery hoop of 10 1/4 inch X 6 inch easily in it to do wonders. So, this machine is great for larger projects like quilting. Furthermore, it includes two embroidery hoops one of which is the larger one of the previously mentioned size and the other smaller one measures 4-by-4 inch. You can do your magic on any fabric by using the ten snap-on presser feet that come with the machine. Apparently, this machine features a built-in needle threader and a touchscreen LCD display to make the whole process easier for you.
You can, in fact, wind the bobbin while embroidering. The machine gives you the choice to choose from 250 built-in stitches, 200 embroidery designs, and 6 lettering fonts. It can also sew a few types of buttonholes automatically. Furthermore, you can import designs with the help of a USB port in this machine. Although it includes instructions, it might be a bit difficult to learn for both beginners and experts.
- High sewing and embroidering speed of 800 stitches per minute.
- Larger work area for both sewing and embroidery.
- Connectivity to the internet through a USB port.
- Downloadable designs and upgradable software.
- Variety of built-in designs.
- LCD display and needle threader reduce some of the strain.
- Bobbin can be winded while embroidering.
- Sturdy and durable metal builds.
- A bit difficult to learn.
- The bobbin tends to form a birds nest with the threads and is not very easy to set.
10. Janome Memory Craft 200E Embroidery Machine Bundle
Finally, a machine other than something by Singer or Brother has made it to this amazing list of heavy duty sewing machines. While this is definitely not the best embroidery machine in the market and may offer come with more flaws than others mentioned previously, it is a much cheaper option for a heavy-duty embroidery machine. Apparently, this machine comes in a bundle that includes everything you need for embroidering except the fabric and the thread. You will, in fact, be able to give up buying designer clothes and make your own customized designer clothes at home with this great machine. It is very easy to use because it only requires you to snap in a hoop and press a key to get started. Then, you get 73 embroidery designs and 3 monogramming fonts to choose from. The bobbin is easy to use and the needle is easy to thread thanks to the automatic threader.
You also have multiple options for resizing. Moreover, you will find it very easy to use with the Backlit LCD touchscreen that allows you to choose the designs.
- A great heavy-duty embroidery machine.
- Good hoop size and also easy to attach hoop.
- Includes everything needed for embroidering.
- 73 built-in designs along with three fonts.
- Automatic threader and an easy to detach bobbin.
- Durable and stable build
- The needle threader is not very functional.
- Many customers are not satisfied with the built-in options.
- Operates with a horrible noise.
We also have a detailed review on Janome Memory Craft 200E if you want to check that out.
The Best Embroidery Machine Buying Guide
Embroidery machines also are like general sewing machines, they do have some differences. You have to not only be aware of the differences but also the basic things to be sure that you are getting the best embroidery machine you can have.
What do You Need?
Are you a beginner? Or, are you a professional looking for faster ways to get your job done as flawlessly as possible? Whichever you are, there will be the embroidery machines built for your exact level and need. You must check if the speed, number of designs, and type of the machine meet your requirements. Apart from that, you also have to decide if you want to just embroider with your machine or do some basic stitching as well? Look deep down into what you want to do with your work and what you need from the machine for it. When you determine your requirements, finding the perfect machine becomes a much easier job.
The type of machine You Need
It is both a good thing and a bad one that you get so many different options to choose from. There are quite a number of types of embroidery machine available that widens your options but makes the choosing phase even more daunting. But, fear not, we are here to lessen the strain on your brain with our explanations and tips.
Both a Sewing and an Embroidery machine or just an Embroidery Machine?
You have the option to get the features of a sewing machine in your embroidery machine. So, you can switch between the two by changing the settings. However, if you are really into one of the kind and aim to go deeper into that certain kind, we suggest you buy a machine dedicated to only that purpose. Because serving dual purpose often lessens the ability to perform one efficiently. So, you might end up with a machine that stitches really well but does not embroider so well.
Single Needle or Multiple Needle Machine?
Single needle machines are exactly what it sounds like. You can do only a single design with a single color of thread at a time with this one. Apparently, you will have to set the needle up again with the desired color everytime you want a different color in the design. It is the most basic form and has a removable embroidery unit. While it is great for general stitching and computerized machine embroidery designs, it is not the best for speedy embroideries as it cannot handle large hoops well.
On the other hand, the multiple needle machine has several needles heads. You can attach various colored threads to the needles and get your design done perfectly in time and the various parts with different colors at the same time. If you are serious about embroidery, this is definitely the type of machine you should consider not only because of the color but its speed too. Multiple needle machines work with a speed from 400 to 1000 stitches per minute. So, with them, you achieve your creative satisfaction much sooner.
Free-Motion or Computerized?
You get to choose how you want to operate the machine and what design you want it to work on completely in the free motion machines. While it is a bit difficult to learn, you will be able to implement all your creative ideas and create unique masterpieces with this mode.
On the other hand, the computerized machines take most of the responsibility of deciding what to do on itself. You just have to start it and select what you want. Apparently, you can import designs in this machine in three different ways.
First one is selecting from only the designs that are already built-in the machine. This is the most basic form and not very beneficent. With the second type, you can connect the machine to a computer and import the design from it. Your computer can be connected to the internet so you can technically import designs from the internet. Thirdly, whenever you find a design on a screen you just cannot resist, you can collect it and import it into the machine with a USB port. So, select the machine which offers you whichever type of connectivity you want.
Embroidery Area You Will Get to Work on
You have a masterpiece in mind but you need to work on a much larger area than what your machine lets you work on, your dreams may as well be shattered slowly. So, choose a machine that has a large enough work area to allow you to work the way you want to. The size of the smallest work area is 4-by-4 inch and there is not a creative bound to what the dimensions of the largest areas will be. So, find the size that you will compatible for your work most, preferably larger and slay.
Another important thing you have to consider is the hoop size. The larger it is the better it is for you.
Throat width is basically the distance between the machine’s needle and its body which will give you room to move around freely if it’s big enough. Therefore, go for machines with greater throat width because then you get more space to adjust your fabric into and make the necessary movements when embroidering. It not only provides you with a larger area to work on but also makes it easier for you.
The Variety of Designs and Fonts
Especially, if you are buying a computerized machine, you should check the number and variety of embroidery designs it offers. If it does not offer as many as you want, is it of any worth to you? If it’s a no, try to find the machines that offer a lot of designs to choose from. Apart from that, it should also offer a number of fonts as well. Because fonts are really essential for embroidering and monogramming, you never know which you might need in the future. So, the greater options you have the better.
You can also look for machines that give you the option to manipulate the designs with the help of any software. It will help you come up with unique patterns by mixing the existing patterns with each other.
Ease of Use
You should not have to sit with a book the size of “what a woman wants” book to operate your embroidering machine. The machine should not just be easy to start but also have other features that ease your way through each process. In fact, you can look for a machine with an automatic needle threader or top-load bobbin, etc. One thing that is very essential for embroidery machines is an LCD touchscreen to help you choose the designs and change the settings of your machine. Because embroidery machines need a lot of human interaction at the beginning of the embroidery to get started.
One of the reasons you are buying an embroidery machine is to get your work done faster. If your machine stops when you stop, where is the benefit exactly of spending so much? So, your machine should have an autopilot mode which you can utilize to get the simpler tasks done when you are finishing a bowl of ice cream watching your favorite series.
Presser Feet and Other Accessories
You should also have the option to attach various kinds of presser feet to your machine so that you can work on any kind of fabric. The presser feet will alter the pressure put on the fabric which in turn will protect the fabric from damage depending on their needs.
Apart from that, if you need to, you might look for other accessories like the quilting table, etc.
Durability and Warranty
Whatever you might want from the embroidery machine, you would not want to return or change it any time soon, right? So, make sure that the machine is built with high-quality and durable materials with reinforced joints. A metal frame always works best for sewing or embroidery machines to provide the required stability. Apart from that, use the machine following the instructions and taking the precautions. Then, it will give you minimum chances for getting irritated. You should not have to take too much care of the machine to keep it durable.
The warranty speaks a lot about the quality. The longer the warranty is and the more benefits that are included in it, the better is the service that the machine will provide.
Benefits of Using the Best Embroidery Machine
You will find embroidering and sewing on a machine much more fun and efficient than when you do on hand. Here are a few benefits that will make your leisure and work both fun:
- Get done faster: When you embroider by hand it demands much more energy and time than you do by machine. So, when you embroider by machine, you do not have to face the fatigue that comes with hand sewing. Moreover, many machines feature an autopilot mode which lets you take a break while your machine does your work. So, with longer hours dedicated to sewing, you work gets done much faster.
- More flawless: Human beings are prone to making mistakes. Your masterpiece is in the risk of getting ruined more when you embroider by hand. However, when you employ a machine to do it under your supervision, you do not just get the result faster but also you get a more flawless result.
- Ease of use: You will find it much easier to sew by machine than by hand because of the additional features that machines offer. For example, with automatic needle threaders, you do not have to thread the needle by straining your eyes. Furthermore, you can sew buttonholes much easier with a machine than by hand thanks to the automatic one-step feature the machines feature.
- Wider range for creativity: With the internet connection, built in designs and other upgrades, machines allow you to edit or combine designs to create unique and new designs for yourself.
Frequently Asked Question
How should I use the machine so that the threads do not break?
Answer: Basically, threads can break at two places of the machine- the thread at the top and the bobbin thread. As the user, you can prevent it by doing the following things:
- Make sure that you have inserted the thread correctly inside the needle to prevent the top thread from breaking. Also, use the right thread for the machine you are using and if the tension is adjustable, make sure you the thread tension is not too high.
- In order to prevent the bobbin thread from breaking, you have to wind the bobbin with thread correctly and evenly. Moreover, you have to be certain that the thread tension is not too high.
If you have taken care of these issues and the thread still breaks, chances are that there is something wrong with the machine itself.
You cannot just earn by sewing clothes and embroidering, you will also gain pleasure from doing it. However, if your sewing and embroidering are limited to doing the same designs over and over again with no chance of modification or innovation then you may get bored. Machines allow you to have fun and be creative when you sew or embroider by limiting the need for skills. You do not have to super skilled to create masterpieces with machines. You can do it just by using the right machine with the right features. Therefore, in order to make the best use of your skills, find the Best Embroidery Machine for yourself. Armed with the knowledge gained about these machines and ideas about the existing machines, we believe you will get your hands on that perfect machine sooner than you think.